Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lessons in Loss

The last few months have been, well, crazy. It's been up and down and down again, but somehow it's been a blessing all the same.

As many of you know I have been working hard to help plan a benefit for Paul Horn (my sister-in-law's father). He has been battling prostate cancer and in turn endured major surgeries and rehabilitation to "re-learn" how to walk. I'm not an emotions person, I guess it's in my DNA. However, that doesn't mean I don't care or have emotions, it just means I don't show them frequently. I feel so blessed to be able to help in such a small way by organizing the benefit; it's how I know how to give. When I worked, I planned events so I felt called to put my dusty talents to use. One small detail I forgot to pay attention to was that when I worked, that was what I did. My life didn't revolve around a small person who kept a very tight schedule. So let's just say it's been challenging to get the work done during my one to two hour break from Ben that we loving call "nap time"! :o) I'm praying the event is successful and am thankful for the help friends have shown to the Horn family.


In the midst of that, our friend Angie lost her beautiful sister to breast cancer shortly after giving birth to her miracle baby, Chloe. I have been so touched by their story and display of faith, peace and perseverance. If you have the time, read their story (from the beginning) at www.bandssullivan.blogspot.com. Sara's life has been used by Him to reach so many. I am grateful for their ability to share such a trying and challenging story with such strength.


Last Thursday (my dad's birthday) my dear, dear friends Amy and Brian Crisp lost Brian's dad to cancer. Jim was so young. There really aren't words. It's just terrible. I hurt for my dear friends and their family. I just pray they find peace in their time of loss and pain. Amy and Brian's sweet baby boy, Evan, was born in June. It's obvious God's timing was perfect in his delivery. Jim was able to meet and fall in love with baby Evan and again, for that, I'm grateful.


I'm sorry for the terribly depressing post. This is just where life is right now. I'm so grateful for the ability to be able to find the happiness amongst the sorrow and hope for brighter days.

2 comments:

Terra Howard said...

I will pray for Amy & Brian as I pray for Chloe & Brady every night. I am grateful for a healthy family that is all around me!! hang in there.

Sarah said...

Hi Ali,
I am one of Laura's friends in Austin and I feel like I know you guys because she talks about you so much! Maybe we'll get to meet someday. (And by the way, Ben is precious!)

Anyway, I read the Sullivans blog and it really really touched my heart and I've been thinking of them and praying for them everyday since I came across it. Thank you for posting the link to their story.

Take care,
Sarah Lamb